Sunday, July 4, 2010

where to begin...

Tomorrow I start a new job, 27 weeks and 4 days pregnant with a baby boy who has been diagnosed with severe anencephaly (much of his brain and skull did not develop). Anencephaly is a fatal open neural tube defect (ONTD).

I am super thankful for this new job. I am a teacher and although it will be awkward to start the year 6+ months pregnant knowing my baby won't live long after he's born, my new administration has been amazing and I am not even nervous or stressed about tomorrow. We'll see how I feel in the morning though...

My husband, D baby as he is known in my phone, and I decided to name our baby Samuel David "Sammy". We talk to him daily, read him books nightly, and strive to enjoy every moment we can with him.

Seven weeks into this journey I have found help in all corners of the United States. Old friends, new friends, and family with experiences similar to ours have been a tremendous help and encouragement. But here in New Orleans, I struggle to find these people or resources to help us through this. So I am starting this blog. Hoping that should someone else in New Orleans area walk the path we have chosen, we can be a resource and source of encouragement.

It's also a blog for me. I have found solace reading baby loss blogs and blogs of mother's carrying a baby with a fatal diagnosis to term. I have also thought of starting a journal or letters for Sammy...here's to some cheap therapy.

I'm going to back date and post the emails I have sent out over the last couple of months. I send them to my prayer and support team, prayer is the best support we can get from everyone around the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment